top of page
Cute Kittens
Frequently Asked Questions
  • Is there a chance I can be "stuck" with a foster cat or dog?"
    No. If for any reason you no longer wish to participate in the foster program, Animal Outreach will retrieve the animal from you within 48 hours.
  • I have heard that rescue organizations make it hard to adopt. Is that true?
    Rescue organizations are typically run by volunteers. Some adopters who are looking for immediate service may feel frustrated by the screening process, but rescue organizations exist to protect the animals. Thus, vet checks and home visits have become a necessary part of the process. Animal Outreach makes every attempt to streamline the process, but animals cannot be adopted on the spot, as most veterinary offices are not open on weekends and references cannot be checked. However, we will contact references as soon as possible so that your new family member can go home with you.
  • I found a pet. What should I do?
    Call your local Animal Control to see whether anyone has reported the animal missing. Also, ask Animal Control to come out and scan the animal to see if it has an identifying microchip. Call your local animal shelter and let them know you have the animal. If you cannot hold the animal, Animal Control will take it to the shelter for you. Animal Outreach can also post a "Found" notice if details are provided.
  • There are stray cats running all over my property. Can you come out and pick them up?
    Animal Outreach does not provide pickup services. Pickup is a function of Animal Control. Keep in mind that a feral cat will not ever become adoptable. Animal Outreach believes that Trap-Neuter-Return is the most intelligent and humane way to reduce numbers. You will also find that many of the behaviors that are problematic will disappear once cats are fixed. No more fighting, spraying, mating, or giving birth! Animal Outreach recognizes that free-roaming cats are an issue in our communities and is committed to effectively and humanely controlling the problem. Are you familiar with Trap Neuter and Return (TNR) program? Various long-term studies have shown that TNR is effective in the stopping the breeding of cats in the wild and reducing the population over time. Through TNR, cats are humanely trapped and sterilized. Feral cats (not socialized with humans) are unadoptable and will be placed back into the environment in which they were living. Volunteer caretakers then provide food, water, and clean, unobtrusive shelters for the cats. Tame, adoptable cats are adopted into new homes. If you want more information about the TNR programs, please contact us.
  • A cat ran up into a tree and can’t come down. What can I do to help it?
    If cats can get up into a tree they can usually get down. Cats can remain up a tree for up to seven days and on occasion longer. Do not call it or attempt to try and climb up the tree; you may frighten it and cause it to go up higher. Leave the area for approximately one hour to see if he/she comes down on his/her own. If he does not, place food at the base of the tree and leave the area. If cat food does not work, try a can of tuna (cats love it). Leave the area to give the cat time to smell the food and make its way down. If the cat doesn't seem like it can make its way down on its own, please call Animal Control.
  • My neighbors moved and left their cat. Will you come pick it up?
    Abandoned animals are collected by Animal Control and taken to the county shelter. Animal Outreach works closely with the Cape May County Animal Shelter and Adoption Center and will help the cat if called upon.
  • My neighbors tie their dog up all the time and the barking annoys me. What should I do?
    Each of our communities each have regulations regarding nuisance barking. Call your local Animal Control department to find out what the regulations are. Keep in mind that it is not the dog’s fault. Dogs are social animals, and being left alone outside while the people are in the house is one reason the dog may be barking. Also, the dog may be in distress. If you think this is the case, contact the Animal Control Officer or the police immediately.
  • My child has developed allergies and I can no longer keep my pet. What should I do?
    Surrendered animals go to the Cape May County Animal Shelter and Adoption Center. There will be a relinquishment fee that will help the shelter feed and house your pet while he or she waits for a new home.
  • What is the difference between a No-Kill shelter and a Full-Service shelter?
    In order to address the overpopulation problem in our community we need No-Kill (limited intake) facilities and Full-Service facilities working together. A Full-Service organization accepts any animal that comes to its door no matter its medical or behavior condition. As a result, decisions about placements are often based on resources and space availability and the health and temperament of the animals. Limited intake facilities accept animals based on resources and space up front, and as a result, certain animals will not be accepted into their programs.
Cute Kittens

“Time spent with cats is never wasted.”

Sigmund Freud

bottom of page